On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:58:58 +0000, Brian Alsop wrote:

>I'm wondering about a UPS supply that's attached to the computer.   Do
>they only kick in when power goes out

That is nearly always how they work. BUT -- if the transformer is
energized, there will be a field. So it depends on how that particular
device works.

>Have the opposite problem with earphones clean but line out polluted by
>third and other odd harmonics.

That's produced in the line out transformer because there's 600 ohms in
series with it and the output driver. The mod fixes that by reducing the
resistors to a much smaller value (50 ohms, I think).

73,

Jim Brown K9YC