Dave,

I no longer have an 817, but I can tell you that the knob was definitely
smaller than the K3 VFO B knob.  In fact, I increased the size of it by
installing a rubber crutch tip.  :-)

You might consider a K2 knob.  It will hang a little low, but other than
that it should clear everything else.  The K2 knob is 1.5" in diameter.  I
put one on my K1.

73, Neal WA6OCP