Thanks for the reply Keith,

 Makes sense.

Don...w2xb

-------Original Message-------

From: Darwin, Keith (via Nabble)

Date: 03/06/09 07:56:25

To: W2XB

Subject: Re: AGC

Since AGC automatically turns down the gain when there is a big signal,

I'd expect that it would make things quiet.  Basically, it adjusts the

gain to equalize all signals.  Band noise, weak signals, strong signals

- all are rendered at the same volume level as they come out the

speaker.  Turn AGC off and the quiet stuff remains quiet while the loud

stuff gets much louder.  Overall S/N ratio goes way up.

I run my rig with a combination of AGC on/off.  I turn AGC on (to squash

any loud peaks) then back RF gain down until the noise background gets

weak.  Now I have a higher average S/N ratio but still have the

ear-protection benefits of AGC.

- Keith N1AS -

- K3 711 -