From: "Ron D'Eau Claire" <r...@cobi.biz>

Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 20:06:47
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] WWII-era US Military MF/HF QRP rigs (OT)

As a communications sergeant in the 40th Armored Division of the California
National Guard in the late 1950's we were still using WWII vintage AN/PRC-6
hand helds. They were used by the infantry on foot traveling with the tanks
(yes, they traveled together. It's easy for one person on foot to "kill a
tank" when in towns or wooded areas when they can't swing the turret. Just
climb up with a sachel bomb and then walk away. That's why in the war films
you see infantry walking alongside the armored vehicles. The PRC-6 was how
the infantry communicated with the soldiers inside.)

Anyway, getting back to merely off-topic, the PRC-6 operated A.M. crystal
controlled in the Amateur 6-meter band which was shared with the military
then. The PRC-6 used the sub-miniature "pencil" tubes (because the tubes
were about the diameter of an ordinary lead pencil) and made perhaps 100
milliwatts output with fresh batteries. That was FB for the very short range
communications they needed. One day on duty in Southern California I was
holding a PRC-6 waiting to do a radio check with another guy in a vehicle
when I heard a W0 in Colorado start calling CQ right on my frequency. So I
answered him using my Ham call. He came right back. I don't recall the
signal reports but we chatted for a while until the armored vehicle came up
on frequency.

The PRC-6's antenna was a 1/4 wave "ribbon" whip sort of like a metal tape
measure but the only ground was me holding the thing. We were talking over a
range of about 700 miles, me running 100 MW A.M. (which is about equal to 15
milliwatts SSB).

Amazing? Did everyone catch **when** that was? In the late 50's... at the
peak of the most humungous sunspot cycle seen since Guglielmo Marconi was in
diapers.

You guys can have your DXCC, WAS and whatever certificates. I just want to
see another sunspot cycle like that!

Ron AC7AC