Talking of birds Julian and qrp I've just returned from the Gambia where I
did some 20m cw as C56ETF. The pile-ups were impressive but I still kept my
binoculars next to my key to check out that new one in the trees outside the
balcony....never had to contend with avian qrm before either - some of them
are *so* loud both in looks and call!

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of qrp stations I worked in the
pile-ups. I never seemed to wind the K3's filtering right down in split,
preferring instead to use the excellent AFX to pluck out stations calling
slightly off the main frequency and that way I could detect the occasional
"..QRP.." from the rabble. When the rest of the pile-up finally realised I
wasn't going anywhere until I worked the 'QRP' guy I was able to complete.
Wasn't aware I missed any qrp that called.

The K3 (with a 20m wire dipole) worked really well but the customs at Banjul
did try to extract 40% import duty from me for it...!

73,

Stewart Rolfe, GW0ETF/C56ETF