I have to agree with Jim on this one. Perhaps the biggest concept drilled into
me by the RF engineers I worked with at Motorola (I was a digital/software/comm
engineer) is that there is no such thing as RF ground. RF can, and is,
conducted on any path that it wants. This is especially true for the so-called
"ground" and "power" paths, which while appearing to be well bypassed, still
will carry RF currents. The problem was really drilled home when I had to track
down a problem with a 450 MHz handheld data transceiver being desensed. The
cause was the 250th harmonic of the microcontroller main clock, which placed a
14 uV signal on the receiver input. The signal was being conducted on the
system ground, including shielding, and into the receiver front-end. How do you
solve it? Shift the crystal frequency when on problematic channels.

So, while the concept of a common ground which carries no signals may be an
interesting one, in practice it simply does not exist.

- Jack Brindle, W6FB.