I have no idea of the cause, of course .... but as a retired utility
communications tech I'll tell you that anything is possible and
sooner-or-later will happen.  A utility simply can't cover every
possible uh-oh.

My utility ... like most ... uses an extensive microwave system
for control of the largest utility in the US (In square miles served)
and there are extensive "backups and alternatives.  This being
said, an earthquake that would disturb rowers and dish alignment
would be a major disaster.  Ditto for a large forest fire.  The dense
smoke can cause HV lines to flash over, causing them to "trip out",
and can cause very wide-spread outages.

Lots can and does happen.

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP