Mike et al -

It might be good to check to see if you aren't doing it to yourself.
14.318 divided by 4 is 3.579 MHz, the "color burst" frequency used by
millions of consumer devices as a reference frequency, and not just TV
sets.  I have heard carriers on or around that frequency with strengths
up to and including "S9" for literally years.  Harmonics from poorly
designed or shielded oscillators in TV sets, computers, clocks, DVD
players, VCRs, microwave ovens,  game players, fax machines, printers,
telephones, toys, medical devices, and many more items have polluted
this frequency for at least 20 years.  Just now I checked and can hear
at least  5 separate  "sources"  in a casual  check of the frequency -
and those are just the "loud ones" from a random beam heading.  I am
sure there are dozens more underneath the louder ones. .

The sources are so ubiquitous that it is virtually impossible to escape
them no matter where you live.   The signals that you are hearing are
probably not the same ones that another ham in the next state is
hearing, but there are so many of them that it is unlikely anyone can
escape them.

They are part of the reason for that FCC warning about "Operation this
device may cause interference to nearby radio ant TV receivers ....."
(I am paraphrasing here) that you see on so many consumer electronics
devices.

One reason your DSP may be having trouble eliminating the carriers is
that there are usually several on slightly differing frequencies.  The
crystals aren't all that accurate in some devices, and by the time we
get to the 4th harmonic, differences of a few tens of Hertz to several
hundred Hertz are common.  Most of these oscillators are not in some
type of circuit that is phase locked to a master source, as  is the case
for some TV broadcasts.  Most of them are "free running"  in the sense
that all they have to be is "close enough" to perform the task at hand.,

- Jim, KL7CC