Continued from:   [CQ-Contest] SOME THOUGHTS ON USING THE K3 ON SSB

Reading these messages, I decided I should try adjusting the offset
for my 2.8 8-pole filter from the normal 0. I have been getting good
audio reports, but not "excellent".

Listening during adjustment, I found that as I reached -.20 some high
harshness was reduced. I thought that would be good, as I often find
myself cutting back the HI passband to get a similar effect. Then I
got on the Sunday Elecraft SSB Net. I couldn't get many opinions
because propagation  was poor, but I had Phil NS7P give me his
opinion. He reported the least distortion around offset -.20, and
clearly an improvement over the 0 setting. So that's where I have it.
It's an easy test to make, since you can transmit with the CONFIG
window open.

Ever curious, I thought to play with my 2.1 filter offset (just for
receiving of course). I never liked listening to SSB with it because
the highs sounded harsh. As I turned it from the normal 0, down past -.
20, it started to sound better. I preferred around -.40 until I
checked it on a weak CW signal. It was making it weaker in comparison
with the other filters. So I compromised and set it at -.27. I'm happy
with that!

I think this is a good discovery! Maybe it's something the factory
should look into?

Windy KM5Q
K3 #764