N6KR wrote (>)

> The most significant new "feature" is an editor for the  K3's CW memories.
These are the memories that you had to load by manipulating a paddle, you
recall these memories by pressing M1 thorugh M4 on the K3 front panel.

And your timing had to be *absolutely* perfect using a paddle!  Mine is not so
it sometimes took me forever to get memories loaded correctly (ditto for the K2
BTW).

> I read a report on this reflector about a CW enthusiast that had suffered a
stroke and loved CW, but could no longer manipulate a paddle at speed.  He's
able to use a keyboard, though.  He had a friend come over to program his
rig's CW memories.

Slightly off-topic but my very good Topband friend N4SU had Parkinson's and had
the same problem.  Dave eventually gave up hamming and I helped take down his
station including 12 Beverages.  I believe not being able to operate actually
hastened his death according to his wife.  If he was living now, I would do
exactly what Dick suggests.  You can actually work a lot of DX stations on CW
and RTTY without needing to send their call, especially in contests.  Program
the keyer to send your call and a response for when they answer you.

73,  Bill