Hi fellow Elecrafters,

The K3 is the best & pleasant radio I ever had, but it also is one of the
most ear fatiguing I've ever listened to on voice.

I'm very surprised about this because Wayne's brilliant design should be
able to sound like the very finest sound equipment. The DACs and audio
stages are all top-notch.

I did a couple of tests in my audio studio and came up with the following
(ridiculous?) idea:

-The white atmospheric bandnoise (we all love her) should somewhere down the
line be converted to (near) pink audio noise before it hits our ears. In the
K3 and maybe many other receivers this doesn't happen, white RF noise is
linearly translated to white audio noise, sounding "high emphasized" to the
human ear.

I have a feeling in older receivers this was "mildened" by the electronics
that somehow gave a natural roll-off up the spectrum.

Too simple,right?  I thought so too.

So I built an accurate 3db/octave downsloping filter (in software) and fed
it with the K3's RX audio.

A -3dB/octave downslope converts white noise (equal energy per Hz) to pink
noise (equal energy per octaveband)

For our ears pink noise sounds "flat" since we listen to frequencies in a
logarithmic manner.

How did it sound with or without ?To me, like night and day.

-K3 in "pink mode" sounds round,smooth and balanced out. RX EQ now works
correctly and is able to really shape the sound to many different
"flavours".

-K3 in "white mode" to me sounds mean,agressive and sharp.RX EQ can hardly
correct this.

Could anyone else give this a try? There are quite a lot of software EQ's
able to make a -3dB/octave slope. Or milder slopes if you wish as long as
it's quite precise in dB/oct.

I wouldn't like a new discussion about different tastes of
audio/speakers/headphones/etc but I would be very interested in other people
able to copy this experiment and comment on it.

I have a feeling the K3 can do way(ne) better then it does in the audio
department.

Please excuse my english

73'

Paul