Chris,

I think this is one of those "your mileage may vary" things.  With
this older HP laptop, I have a bit of overdrive going the other way -
from the computer to the Line In on the K3.  Adding an attenuator
allowed the me to get better control (more granularity) over the
laptop's audio out and at the same time lowered the drive level at the
K3.

You can build a Pi or T attenuator for either in or out at the
computer.  A fairly good calculator for this can be found at
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/PI-T-Pad-Attenuator-Calculator.phtml

FWIW, I designed and built a 5 dB attenuator for 1k line impedance. It
seems to work and allowed volume adjustment to occur in smaller steps,
which in this case is what was necessary to combat too much drive at
lower Line In settings at the K3 (setting 4 was as high as I could use
it, and setting it at 3 was too low).

You can also buy a better sound device like the EMU-0202 from Creative
Labs.  This approach has the additional benefit of keeping digital
modes' sound separate from whatever your computer o/s and applications
generate.

73,
matt W6NIA
K3 #24