> Are the foam pieces supposed to stick down to the second
> layer of LCD
> or wedged all the way down to the switch substrate?

I had the same question a couple of weeks back Terry!

Ron told me:

That step of the assembly procedure says it all: "The blockers should be
nearly flush with the front edge of the LCD to block the excess light that
leaks out of each end of the display."   It's no more complicated than that.
Early testing of the K3 showed that enough light leaked out of the ends of
the display that you could see it around the edge of the buttons nearest the
display, especially in dim room light. Wayne added the "blockers" to stop
that small amount of light leakage.

73 GL
Gary  ZL2iFB

PS  There is a neat searchable version of this mailing list at Nabble.com.
Try this search for example:
http://n2.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?forum=365791&local=y&query=light+block
er