On Thu, 07 May 2009 11:50:10 -0500, John Lyon wrote:

>But I, too, have become concerned that the K3 is becoming just another
>menu driven radio - with so many parameters that the result is brain
>paralysis. How many AGC parameters does one person need, even with
>different modes and band conditions? How many angels really can dance on
>the head of a pin? When is enough enough?

Early in its life, the K3 became a very popular "competition" radio, and
this fact has driven its design. That is, a high percentage of K3s have
been sold to contesters. The extra effort put into issues like the AGC are
an attempt to optimize it in that direction.

As to complexity -- K3NA told that those seasoned operators who used very
early serial number versions of the K3 at VP6DX found it very easy to use,
and were working at full efficiency in 5-10 minutes after first sitting
down with it. My reaction as an old-timer has been the same. I find the
user interface quite intuitive and fast, and the use of menus is limited
to customization of the radio to suit the needs of the individual
operator. In day-to-day operation, about the only time I use the menus is
the tweak the settings of the Noise Blanker. The only thing I find awkward
is operating control of the 2nd radio. It's been getting better, but there
are still things I need to do that either aren't possible or aren't easy.

>I'd rather see Elecraft complete the original feature list. What ever
>happened to synchronous detection?  The hope of a keyboard connection?
>Or for that manner, a tightly integrated panadapter? An up-to-date,
>complete owner's manual?

I'd like to see these things too, but the panadapter and an up-to-date
manual that better integrates new functions are the things on your list
that I'd most like to see. Synchronous detection is nice, but I didn't buy
my K3s to ragchew on AM or listen to shortwave. Others may have different
priorities. :)

73,

Jim Brown K9YC