It's also much easier to add RTTY to the mix. I ran CW, RTTY and SSB with
N1MM in ARI, 7QP and NEQP a couple weekends back.

My next step is to be able to d the same with my laptop.

Heck, add the new 2M module and you can do almost everything from one rig
for FD...

Now we need Eric to release that new internal K3 24 hour battery ;o)

I think if you're serious about contesting, and "competing" on FD, a logging
program is the only way to go, even QRP. There's nothing wrong with going
minimalist either, paper and pencil and spinning knobs is fun too. It
depends on what your goal is...

I like N1MM, but others swear by the software they use. Try N1MM, it's free.
If you don't like it, there are other options, free and for a reasonable (in
software terms) price.

73,
Julius

David Gilbert wrote:

> For one thing, if you're jumping back and forth between CW and SSB it's
> nice to have the computer log the mode appropriately ... it's pretty
> easy for any operator to forget to change the mode manually each and
> every time.  Rig control does it for you.  And with regard that, the
> N3FJP software doesn't properly pick up digital modes anyway ... if you
> switch the rig to RTTY or PSK you have to manually type in the new mode
> when you make the change.  It isn't even available as a drop-down
> selection.
>
> Also, the original requester wanted to key the K3 from the N3FJP FD
> logger using various message macros.  That's certainly possible, but if
> I remember correctly (I could be wrong) there is no full-time display to
> show which function keys hold which messages.  You'd need a paper crib
> sheet to educate each new operator.  With N1MM, the macros can be sent
> from the function keys, but they are also accessible as on-screen mouse
> buttons that display text to help you remember which one to click on.
>
> One of the coolest benefits of rig control with a competent program like
> N1MM, however, is the band map capability.  Even without packet feeds,
> the bandmap can show you stations displayed by frequency ... the ones
> you've already worked are shown in gray text and the ones you had
> previously flagged to try later show up in color.  Clicking on a
> callsign automatically resets the rig to that frequency.  That's a neat
> feature for the average Field Day operator that is don't mostly
> search-and-pounce.
>
> Besides, the various operators don't need to know how to set up N1MM.
> Once it is installed, and without the bells and whistles turned on, in
> my opinion it is as simple to use as N3FJP with less chance for human
> error.
>
> Dave   AB7E
>

> R. Kevin Stover wrote:
>> Writelog and N1MM are both more powerful software packages but how much
>> power do you need for field day? We're not talking about dedicated CQ WW
>> teams who get together and practice using software for three months
>> prior. For the most part FJP's FD logger gets used by folks on field day
>> who "contest" once per year. They have neither the time nor inclination
>> to learn something like N1MM.
>>
>> I'm wondering why anybody would "need" rig control during field day.
>>

>> Jim Brown wrote:
>>

>>> Writelog and N1MM are much more powerful contest loggers, have
>>> lots of slick features, and take a bit longer to learn. But they
>>> are WELL worth the effort. N1MM is FREE. Writelog is not. I
>>> started with Writelog, used it for 2-3 years, switched to N1MM a
>>> few years ago and like it better.

-----
Julius Fazekas
N2WN