Hi Joe,

Have you checked for a voltage drop from your power supply/source? or the
APPs? This sounds unusual...

My K3 barely gets warm running RTTY at 100 watts or on 160 running 100 watts
for 12 to 14 hours straight. I mention 160 as I have a higher current draw
here, most likely due to less than perfect matching at the Tx antenna and
proximity to the radio (is VERY close).

The only reason I know the fan is on is because I, out of curiosity, put my
hand on the rig and feel a bit of air flow... My shack can get to 80 degrees
before I decide I need the air on, even then the fan rarely ramps higher
than one...

Much better than the KPA100 was/is in the same situation. Different setup
and much smaller fan on that one.

73,
Julius

Joe Planisky wrote:

> Apparently not all K3s are created equal, thermally speaking.
>
> On my K3, it takes about 2:45 of 20 wpm CW at 50 watts into a dummy
> load to raise the PA temp from 18C to 37C (the fan turn-on temp.
> Ambient temp is about 18C.)
>
> 73
> --
> Joe KB8AP
>

> On May 13, 2009, at 6:24 AM, Ed Muns wrote:
>
>> You're doing what?!
>>
>> For two years I've run my K3s in NAQP at 100 watts with high duty
>> cycle.  The fans seldom turn-on and the PA is barely warm.  If you
>> can out-design N6KR, I'd be amazed.
>>
>> Ed - W0YK

-----
Julius Fazekas