I had the same problem, with a quite noisy shack, the 8877 I use on 144
MHz have a pretty big fan, plus I have other fans on the PC, on the
Network rack and so on.
I solved the problem using a carefully selected microphone.
I chose a SM-57 instrument pickup microphone, from Shure.
The choice followed this criteria:
1) Cardioid (highly directive) pattern, with low sidelobes.
2) Dynamic microphone, with a low sensitivity.
3) Almost flat audio response, with limited bass roll-off.

I keep the TX equalizer completely flat, and I set the mic gain at level 20.
A little bit of compression can give you the right punch, without
affecting readability, let's say 10.
These settings work well for me, but keep in mind to set the Mic Gain
looking at an external wattmeter: remaining on Tx, and not talking, you
shoudn't see any power going out.

Good luck!

73 de Giulio IW3HVB