[Note: All of this applies to my K2 as well]

FWIW: I'm trying to get N1MM Logger working with my K3.  I have three
USB-serial adapters [ two of which are just a cable with a USB-A on one
end and a DB-9 on the other with a chip inside the DB-9], and one of
which came from Elecraft and comes up as COM7 on my XP laptop.  That one
works just fine downloading firmware and controlling the K3 from the
Utility.  The other "justacable" adapter does not.

Using one from Elecraft, I had no problem getting N1MM to talk to the
K3, and extract the frequency.  With K3 set for RTS=PTT and DTR=CW, the
PTT also works just fine from N1MM.  However, when I turn on CW, I get
some sort of system error I've never seen before.  This also happens
with Writelog, only a different system error. I think both errors are
coming from XP.  I'm using the drivers that came with the adapters.

The third adapter is an old Targus PA070 port replicator that came with
an 11-yr old Gateway "POJ" laptop, also running XP ... when it will run
at all.  It provides a serial, parallel, PS2 mouse, keyboard, and two
additional USB ports.  It works just fine with the K3 and K2 for both
N1MM and Writelog.  Haven't had the chance to try it with the K3 Utility
yet.

I was surprised the KUSB from Elecraft doesn't work for the logger-rig
interface.  I guess all USB-Serial adapters are not created equal.  If
one doesn't work, try a different one.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2009 Cal QSO Party  3-4 Oct 2009
- www.cqp.org