I agree entirely Jim. Don't remember the last time I had an amp that required
EXT ALC let alone didn't warn against using it. But this  manufacturer strongly
recommends it and cautions against not using it. I guess I am a believer in
follow the manufacturer's recommendation.....at least while in warrantee. The
amp does have built in protection so perhaps this a case of suspenders and a
belt.

Howard..K2HK

Jim Brown, K9YC wrote:

  It is VERY rare for a modern power amp to REQUIRE ALC. The proper way to
drive an amp is to use the transceiver's power control to set the drive level
sufficient to get the desired output from the amplifier. ALC should be used
only as a "safety" to protect the amplifier in those conditions when something
goes wrong -- perhaps an antenna or antenna tuner fails, the feedline shorts,
etc.  What do I mean by "modern power amp?" Well, the manuals for my Ten Tec
tube and solid state amps, written in the early 80's, specifically state that
their ALC function should not be used to set the drive power, but that the
method I described is the right way to do it.  With many power amps, using ALC
to set the drive power will generate clicks and other trash.  73, Jim Brown K9YC