On Jun 5, 2009, at 12:10 PM, David Yarnes wrote:

> I marvel at the attraction some of this old gear seems to
> still have on folks.
> <snip> ...  It was there that I learned
> the hard way about some of the design imperfections in stuff
> like this.

it's not about design perfection, of course.  I've been restoring and
using old gear since the early 1990's.  There's something about firing
up a Globe King 500, or CE 100V and SX-115 with clacking TR relays
that is a totally different experience than running a computerized
desk full of the latest and greatest.  Maybe it just has to be in the
blood :-)

On the other hand, sometimes a Drake 1-A has much more
"listenable" (and don't ask me to define that) SSB audio than the K3.
In the trenches, of course, the 1-A folds, but that isn't the point
anyway :-)

Grant/NQ5T