Sorry, guess that term wasn't real clear.

A power supply doesn't control the charge rate, it controls the output
voltage.  Most bulk storage batteries don't want to charge at high
rates, say over 0.5C, although you can probably get away with it for a
time.  Controlling the charge rate generally improves battery life,
although other things like equalization can help with this too (FLA's
only!).

For the SLA I have here, the recommended maximum continuous CV charge
rate is 0.3C.  In a way they're fairly picky when it comes to charging
rates.

Charging in a CV regime is fine as long as the rate is limited to
whatever is best for the battery.  But most power supplies that can
handle a 100W rig like the K3 can may output more than this
recommended charge rate, and unless you manually set the current limit
to the max rate, they're uncontrolled in this respect.

As with all things, YMMV applies.  If you have a mega-battery like
some 1200AH deep cycle home power type, then the max rate will be
different.  It's a guess, but I think most hams wouldn't be using that
type of Rolls or Surette battery for their stations.  I'd sure like to
have a set for the main PV system here though.

The home power batteries we use for the main PV system are 210 AH 6V
golf cart batteries, a series string of 8 of them.  The
charger/inverter is set up to charge them at a rate only as high as
0.2C in normal circumstances (this is Exide's recommendation for max
life).  However, if we're off grid for awhile, I set it up to run
0.35C for about 2 hours  to bulk them up.  In this system , it is
normal to pulse charge them.  Some people call this a float or trickle
charge.  Xantrex just calls it "normal" for some reason.

73,
matt W6NIA