Paul,

The "ERR KEY" message indicates that you have CONFIG:PTT-KEY set to
something other than OFF-OFF and that either the RTS or the DTR line was
set "On" at the time you restarted.

This may be related to the intermittent TX problem: I find that when
using a USB-to-serial adapter for radio control, making changes to other
USB devices sometimes results in disturbances on these control lines,
and if I have PTT set to use RTS, I see the radio toggling between RX
and TX for a few moments at these times. One solution to that is to turn
CONFIG:PTT-KEY to OFF-OFF and use PTT via software command instead.
Another is to do PTT and CW (and FSK) keying on a different serial port
from the one you are using for radio control.

73,
Rich VE3KI