Thanks Bill.

Under the 10Hz steps on the K3, I think the 1Hz digit is zeroed as soon as
the tuning knob is turned.  You can check this by tuning to something other
than X.XX0, tapping the fine button, turning the knob and taping the fine
button again.  Someone close to Elecraft may have a better understanding.

I like the 10Hz tuning rate per knob angular rotation.  I'm usually tuning
for kHz.000, sometimes kHz.500.  I like the speed/feel of the 10Hz tuning
speed.  I find it quick and efficient to tune ~10Hz below the kHz.000
frequency which causes the 1kHz, 100Hz and 10Hz digits to change to X(-1).99
, or as I am suggesting X.9.  Then it is a very slight motion clockwise to
get to X.0kHz.

An example...  I am primarily an SSB operator.  It seems most SSB stations
operate on kHz.000 frequencies.  The 'display' resolution of 10Hz isn't
usually needed, though I do like the angular knob speed of 10Hz.  When
tuning for say, 7.155.000, I watch the  the .0 (hundreds) digit closely.  If
tuning down from a higher frequency and getting close, and I see 7.154.9, I
make a slight turn clockwise and I'm precisely where I want to be.  When I'm
close, the 100Hz digit is the one I'm watching.  The displayed 10Hz digit is
distraction when changing at 10X the speed of the digit I am most concerned
about.  Watching the 100Hz digit is less tedious than watching the 100Hz
digit and the 10hz digit simultaneously.

While what you suggest with the 100Hz digit accomplishes the same effect per
the display, I like the angular rate of the knob as well as the near analog
sound when tuning across the band with the 10Hz rate in effect.  Having the
10Hz digit tuning might be useful for some fine tuning of stations slightly
off of kHz.000.  It may or may not be important for that to be displayed
depending on circumstances.

Some older radios featured only a 100Hz digit but tuned in 10Hz steps.

Best regards,
Dick - KA5KKT