I'm not the "definitive source" for the answer to this question, but I'll
hazard an educated guess.

The firmware probably wouldn't mind if you put two identical width filters
in adjacent slots.

The firmware would pick one or the other as you dialed the bandwidth to the
appropriate values. I don't know which one it would choose.

You could "lie" to the configuration tool and say one of the filters was 450
Hz and the other 400 Hz and be able to use one and then the other at those
bandwidth settings.

I don't think you'll find a way to run the output of one filter into the
other. For any given bandwidth the firmware chooses one of up to five
filters; there's no provision for routing the output of one filter into the
input of another, and making them the same width wouldn't change that.

I'll guess that 5 poles is often enough, 8 poles is almost always plenty and
the benefit gained by going from 8 to 16 poles wouldn't often be very
important.

Dick, K6KR