From: Rod Ehrhart [mailto:dxengineer...@dxengineering.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:46 PM
To: 'Phil LaMarche'
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] The use of a doublet

Hello Phil,

Thanks for writing.

****
One of the wire antenna configurations that works best for multiple band
coverage with a single wire is a ladder line fed non-resonant dipole. For
impedance reasons, it is preferable to use a slightly shortened dipole
instead of a resonant dipole, in relation to the lowest band of operation
desired. You can operate at high power across the HF bands, if this doublet
or dipole it is installed with a certain length of ladder line (not a tuned
length), a high quality 1:1 current choke balun (DXE-BAL050-H10-AT), and a
short run of RG-213 coax to a Wide Range Antenna Tuner with a roller
inductor and large air variable capacitors. This system is described by Tom,
W8JI, in DX Engineering's "Choosing the Correct Balun".

The ladder line length becomes important when it is connected to a
non-resonant balanced dipole being used for a wide-band or multi-band
application.  Using an odd multiple of an electrical, velocity factor
corrected, one-eighth wavelength of feedline on the lowest frequency of
operation will provide a tunable impedance at a lower SWR to the wide range
tuner being used for this antenna system. For example, install an 80 through
10 meter antenna of a total length of 110 to 120 feet, with 300 ohm, 0.88 VF
ladder line, with a length of around 31 or 93 or 155 feet, which represents
one-, three- or five-eighths electrical wavelengths. This antenna will tune
more easily on all bands, especially ALL of 80 meters! However, if one were
to use 60 feet of ladder line, then high voltages could develop in the
tuner, since that is an electrical one-quarter wavelength for reflected
energy. This has been proven to cause difficulties in tuning and erroneous
meter readings. Avoiding ladder line lengths in multiples of 1/4 wavelengths
electrically is the goal.

To make a great 160 through 10 meter antenna system, simply double the
footage figures above. This antenna system really does work well! Try one
and you will see.

****

Let us know if you need any additional assistance, Phil.

Thanks again and 73,

Rod Ehrhart - WN8R
DX Engineering Customer Support
dxengineer...@dxengineering.com