Maybe notes 10 and 11 here:

 http://k6mhe.com/n7ws/

will be helpful.

--- On Tue, 7/14/09, Ron D'Eau Claire <r...@cobi.biz> wrote:

From: Ron D'Eau Claire <r...@cobi.biz>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] The use of a doublet
To: "'David Cutter'" <d.cut...@ntlworld.com>, "'.hank.'" <k...@inbox.com>,
"'Phil LaMarche'" <plama...@verizon.net>
Cc: "'Elecraft_List'" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Date: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 5:02 PM

Quite true, David, but that energy flowing along the feed line induces
currents in the feeder wires as the currents produce the field.

Those currents can be considerable at the current loops, even at low RF
power levels and, considering that the current is flowing along the surface
of the wire, the resistance of the wire at RF is much greater than at dc.

It's my understanding that it's that resistance that cause feeder losses you
see on the loss vs. frequency "curves" as the SWR rises above 1:1. That's
why the "curves" are straight lines. They represent simple resistance.

Of course, what makes open wire feeders superior to coax is that the
practical impedance of coax is limited to fairly low levels, meaning much
higher SWRs when terminated at a voltage loop on the radiator. In practical
antennas that voltage loop may show as much as 4,000 ohms, resulting in a
very high SWR on a 50 or 75 ohm line but a rather modest SWR on 450 or 600
ohm line. Of course that holds down the current maxima.

I have not done a numerical analysis of the loss of open wire line using
small vs. large conductors. Obviously, large conductors offer lower
resistive losses but I, too, have used small diameter feed line conductors
for light weight when I had to let the antenna carry the weight of the
feedline. I'd not panic over using 450 ohm or, in a pinch, even 300 ohm
"twinlead" if that was what was fit the situation. But when I can, I use
larger wire.

Even so, in my overflowing notebook of "experiments I'd like to do" is to
set up, say, 100 feet of open wire line and terminate it in an impedance
that produces an SWR of, say 10:1, then measure the loss with different
diameter conductors.

Antennas are like any other part of our gear: if we stick with what the
manufacturers offer us, it's pretty simple. But manufacturers are trying to
address the biggest audience with the most fool-proof designs. They can be
good performers too, but that's not their most important criteria. Us O.T.s
learned that with the Gotham vertical decades ago and the newer Hams are
seeing it in the absurd claims of gadgets like the "magic" antenna. In both
cases "performance' is a distant concern to the manufacturer compared to a
broad appeal based on the idea that they are very easy to set up and use. At
the other extreme are a very few options requiring specific installations
and environments for proper performance. If we have the room and money for a
tower or some really high poles, we're in luck. If not, we're pretty much
"on our own" designing the best antenna for our individual situations. I
find that part of the fun -- and part of the frustration when I'm convinced
I did it wrong, Hi!

I generally install my doublets "inverted V" style if I have only one
support and run the open wire feeder up the support. If it's metal I keep it
several line spacings from the support, of course. That way the weight of
the feeder is unimportant and it's easy to install it so it's stable and
free from twisting. I can use rather large wire easily.

73,

Ron AC7AC