Pierre,

Yes, it sounds like a new encoder is in order - but first check to be
certain the firmware chip is plugged fully into its socket since that
sometimes gives similar symptoms.
If you have good de-soldering tools, replacing the encoder is no big
deal.  If not, cut the pins at the top, and work out the two mounting
lugs by alternately heating and tipping the assembly from side to side.
When finished, clean up with solder wick and install the new encoder.

73,
Don W3FPR