David Y. wrote:

> The internal ATU option is a tricky decision.  I have it in
> both the K1 and K2, but the T1 is a super alternative.  If
> you have both rigs, or other rigs (like an FT-817 maybe?),
> the T1 can solve a lot of problems.  If I was really
> pinching pennies (which I seem to be doing more of these
> days!), I might have just let the T1 be my sole tuner option
> for QRP stuff.  If you have any kind of collection of QRP
> rigs, you will probably want the T1 anyway.  It's a great
> little tuner.

I have two QRP rigs (a K2 and KD1JV's ATS-3) so I opted for an external
tuner that works well with either.  I have nothing against the T1, but
another low cost ($65 kit, $90 assembled) alternative is the Emtech ZM-2:

http://emtech.steadynet.com/zm2.shtml

It's small, light (8 ounces), passive (non-autotune but very easy to tune
and no battery to worry about) and tunes virtually anything on 10-80m (but
not 160).  The 15W power rating is a nice complement to the QRP K2.

CU tomorrow in the Flight of the Bumblebees...I'll be using my K2 and the
ZM-2 from the top of Morrow Mountain (NC).

73,  Bill  W4ZV