Johnny,
Some have done this, but the Li+ cells are prone to catch fire, so it's
risky.  SLA is well understood and less risky.
They can catch fire when over charged, of course, but also when
over-discharged.

Some people are reporting the A123-manufactured Lithium Nano-Phosphate
cells are safer than the Li+ and LiPoly.
They don't catch fire when over-discharged, for example.

Unfortunately, they don't quite fit in the K2 battery case, at least now
in a way I can figure.  There are also non-A123 brand LiFePO4 cells
which you should be able to get in HK easily.  These are 3.4v and a
better fit (4*3.4=13.6, max 14.4v) for 12v radio electronics than the
~16VDC full charge of Li+.  They are thought to be safer than the Li+
cells, but the no-name brands don't necessarily have the same testing as
A123 brand, so again it's more of a risk than SLA, though less of a risk
than Li+.

LiFePO4/A123 have excellent power density, and can source 60 amps
easily, so they must be fused close to the pack.
They don't have as good energy density as the Li+ technology, but with
the K2 that's less of an issue since its RX draw is so low.

Leigh/WA5ZNU