I went this route a couple months ago on my K3. The Alco knobs
do look spiffy, although they protrude slightly further out from
the front panel. After a while I went back to the factory knobs
on the inner shafts. Why? Because the stock knobs are far more
comfortable on the fingers. I'm a CW op, and I frequently adjust
both the AF and RF gain controls. I don't have the 2nd receiver
(yet) thus there is no need for me to adjust the outer knobs (yet)
so I left the spiffy but uncomfortable knobs on the outer shafts.

Moral of the story: It is mighty hard to improve upon the K3.

73,
  john WA1ABI