Greg K2UM wrote:
One touch and no static sparks to my equipment during operation, especially
during the winter,  and a whole desk mat to work on my K3s and other
equipment.

-------------------------------------

If you want to discharge the static with a "touch" you need to touch a real,
bare-metal ground. Those mats do not provide a "ground" but rather merely
dissipate static charges as they accumulate. Sure, if you hold your hand on
one and don't move for several minutes, you should be discharged too, but a
"touch" won't do it as evidenced by a simple check with an ohmmeter. Almost
no DMM will indicate anything but an "open circuit" when the probes are both
touched to the mat.

Optionally you can discharge yourself with a wrist strap that has a
metal-to-you contact through a 1 Megohm resistor to ground. The 1 Megohm is
adequate to rapidly discharge your body while limiting any accidental
currents from touching circuit to a safe level. The main advantage of the
wrist strap is that you don't need to remember to keep touching a ground.
It'll take care of any static charge you accumulate as it builds, and your
mat will keep dissipating any static charges on the equipment you lay on it.

When I sit down at the bench to work, I first touch a bare metal ground, don
the wrist strap and set to work with the parts and boards on the static
dissipating mat.

Ron AC7AC