> Is it logical to assume that a person's CW sending speed approximates
> their copy speed?

Well, it's *logical* - that just doesn't always mean it's true.  :)

After a long period of inactivity, my copy speed right now is about 10
wpm, but I can send considerably faster and I have to keep reminding
myself to send at about 10 wpm to avoid getting it sent back to me at
a faster speed than I can copy.

I can copy faster than 10 wpm when receiving the standard RST, Name,
QTH, Rig, etc., but if you start telling me about your late
grandmother's bursitis woes or the cabbage worm grief in your garden I
probably won't be able to keep up.

The problem is when I'm sending with a straight key I tend to creep up
in speed without realizing it, get it back at the faster speed, and
then cut QSO's short because I always feel it's impolite to ask the
other fellow to QRS when *I'm* the one who sped us up in the first
place.

The aforementioned ticks me off (at myself), because I'm a ragchewer
and when we move off of the formula and get into cabbage & grandmas is
when I start getting more interested in the di-dahversation.

I keep thinking the speed will come back, but I don't think it's
coming back at the rate it came originally some thirty years ago.

Rick
N4YQP