Help please

I recently purchased a K2/100 with a number of options including the KSB2 SSB
adapter. (serial number 4000 plus)
It was sold as a good working radio and it checks out ok at first glance. CW is
working FB but the SSB is distorted with the MH-2 as it was set for this radio
with the 5.6K resistor between pins 1 and 6 of mic jack. With the HC-5 Heil it
sounds better but doesn't product the normal Christmas tree envelope on my
scope. This is not an RFI related audio issue. It's the same sounding at low
power (5, 10 or 100 w) or driving my KW amp

By reading through the KSB Operation Instructions it seems that I might need to
tweak the BFO as a refinement. However I've found that SSBA and SSBC do not
adjust with changes in settings. In fact, SSBA Level 1 mic gain is atten 10dB
and no changes on the scope or sound in another receiver all the way up to
Level 4. Compressor Ratios from 1:1 to 4:1 on SSBC show no changes to the
envelop on the scope or sound on a second receiver. This test was conducted
with both the MH-2 and HC-5 Heil but the Heil sounds much better. Both these
mics work well on my K3
Maybe it's cockpit procedure. I may have missed some step in the menu
configuration process. I need to get the basics functioning properly before
venturing on into the BFO Optimization process that might clean up the muffled
sounding audio on transmit.
Any helpful ideas from some of you who've lived with K2's will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

73,
John, W1QS