Guy, your missing the whole point of what APF is and what is does,
has nothing to do with selectivity,   nothing to do with skirts at all,
it is in the audio chain and there for no effect or cause with AGC
Is rarely if ever used on a signal that is loud enough to copy,
its mainly used for signals that are at the noise level or very weak.
Narrow bandwidth can be the enemy of APF.  Many
times copy at wider width is the best with APF.
APF never drops off the signal,  it enhances it.
APF = Audio Peak Filter   not DSP or some other
manipulation to try and fake it.
To say that DSP beats APF in the proper use of APF
by 10 or 20 db is proof that there is a lack of understanding
of what APF does or even is.
APF is not used as a selectivity tool.
Its not a Q-multiplier type function,  or a filter as in xtal
filter or DSP filter.
There were many reiterations of APF in various radios, the FT-1000
being one,  and with the 1000 there were various versions even,  the
one that works correctly is the old original circuit,  many ops had to
change components to the older circuit to get the APF to function,
so unless you had one of the correct versions you have not heard
APF work.