It isn't exactly true that NF is unimportant on tropo.... otherwise no
one would be using a mast mounted preamplifier.....
The main issue then is preserving the dynamic range, as you pointed out....
On the XV144 module is mandatory to remove the second rx stage to do
that in this case.
The point is, how many stages the new module have? Is the second one (I
assume that it is there) easily removable or bypassable?
About the dynamic range I didn't completely agree with the Elecraft
first choice to use a 50 MHz IF, and the second one with 28 MHz isn't
much better imho.
Ok, I'm a little selfish here, but the serious contesting machines
(Javornik, DB6NT and others) use 14 MHz and there are couple ofgood
reasons to do that.
Usually the HF radios have their better spesc in terms of BDR etc. on
the 20 mt band, and likely the K3 is no different (Wayne, Eric, can you
confirm?).
The image frequency on 28 MHz IF is in the FM broadcasting band (88-108
here), and I must use a cavity filter between the LNA and the RX port of
the xverter, or I get a lot of crackling noise and birdies, as well as
good fm music.
The only real disadvantage in this case (14 MHz IF) is that the band is
somewhat limited by the 14 MHz limits, but for a 144 MHz contester/Dxer,
the portion of band really important is on 500 KHz, from EME to beacon
band 144.000 to 144.500.

These are my two cents on the topic.

73 de Giulio IW3HVB