Hello Doug:

The "standard" is for the right hand paddle (operated by the finger of the
right hand) to make dashes while the left hand paddle (operated by the thumb
of the right hand) makes the dits.

Perhaps it's best to call that the "legacy" orientation since it follows the
conventional operation of semi-automatic mechanical keys ("bugs") but,
according to comments I've seen, some Hams choose to reverse the operation
for their keyers. I believe that the vast majority use the traditional
operation.

Ron AC7AC