In answer to Joe Planisky, here's my rehash on hash.

My K3 which is factory built still has some tuning hash but it's now at a much
lower in level, doesn't move the
s-meter (with or without preamp) and is only centered around 28000 +/- 5 KHz.
I can barely hear it now.  I haven't added the h/w mod.  Because this K3 is
factory built and never been opened, lets assume it is properly built with
cables and fasteners properly positioned and seated.

Eric's comment:
<<The h/w mod does not really impact the noise at all. It is required
though and is there to maintain reliable signaling between the main
processor and the synthesizers when the CPU to Synct serial bus speed is
increased with SPI=2. Its the change to SPI=2 that reduces the noise.>>

I've read some conflicting comments on the need to make the h/w mod.  I gather
it's
Eric's position that it's necessary to keep the signals clean between the main
MCU and synthesiszers.
Before seeing this latest comment I was left thinking the h/w mod would also
further reduce the tuning hash.

With all this in mind I can live with small amount of remaining tuning hash.
And, this K3 has been running in this configuration for almost a month without
any signs of problems that could relate to omitting the h/w part of change.

Cheers to the Elecraft team.

John, W1QS

K3 s/n 2274
K2 s/n 4204