Now I can make this happen repeatedly, with the NR at 1-4 and the notch
filter on auto as I tune across the birdie the volume goes very loud, it
is louder  than any noise I can get the radio to do normally with the AF
all the way up.
 I have discovered that this only does this in the NR 1-1 to 1-4 range,
very repeatable. As you tune through the birdie the radio starts making
a noise like caddisflies (moderate high pitched fast oscillation) then
it becomes very loud white noise. I don't spend anytime playing with the
controls but I know the AF does nothing.
I copied this to Elecraft tech support.
MCU (uC) 03.27, main DSP (d1)2.24, aux DSP (d2, if KRX3 is present),
flash parameters (FL)01.02, and KDVR3 controller (dr )01.03.
This is very loud, be careful!!
Bob
KB1FRW
73