From: Paul ZL3IN <ps030...@varion.co.nz>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Wrist strap / mat grounding
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Date: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 3:33 PM

When I was about 8 years old I discovered that there was a few volts AC
between the hot and cold taps in my parents house, so I rigged a
night-light in the kitchen using a bicycle dynamo bulb. It glowed away
for years, mostly dim, but sometimes very bright, until I learned enough
about AC power systems to realize how dangerous it was. The hot water
cylinder and piping were grounded to the utility ground, and the cold
water piping was grounded via the metal water pipe feeding the house,
but the hot and cold were isolated by a plastic header tank. We lived
right next door to a power company 11kV/230 transformer. By the grace of
God, nobody was ever electrocuted in the house!

73 Paul ZL3IN