On Sep 2, 2009, at 9/2    9:26 AM, Kjeld Holm wrote:

> Just now I noticed that for the last second or so of the
> transmission it
> seems like I have full output also on 80 meters. BUT it is not a
> question of
> warming up as the full output is seen only for the last second
> whether I am
> transmitting for two seconds or for about twenty seconds.

Is this happening to you only on PSK31, or is it happening also with
RTTY?

This behavior is (full power at the end) is fully explained by how
PSK31 works.

In addition to phase modulation, PSK31 also applies a cosinusoidal
envelope to the signal whenever there is a phase transition between
two signaling symbols.  Without this envelope shaping, a PSK signal
would be quite wide.  This is why the transmitter chain must be
absolutely linear -- it is to maintain this sinusoidal relationship.

This envelope modulation is the reason why a PSK31 signal looks like
two carriers separated by 31.25 Hz on the waterfall when the op at the
other end is not typing into the keyboard.  When the idle Varicode is
sent, the signal looks like a two-tone DSB signal that modulated by a
15.625 Hz tone.

As a result, the power output when PSK is idling is lower than when
you type (the variation is even greater with with QPSK31 than BPSK31;
this is quite obvious when you compare their modulation constellations).

The original specs for PSK31 calls for a (approximately 3/4 second)
squelch tail at the end of transmission.  Most PSK31 modems obey this
during transmission (whether they actually use it as a squelch or not
during receive).  Unless the software actually drops the peak power by
3 dB during this end-of-transmission squelch, you will see the output
power rise during this period.

Since RTTY is a 100% duty cycle mode, it will not have this behavior
even if you transmit a prolonged mark tone at the start or at the end
of a transmission (many software transmits a slightly prolonged mark
just before the RTTY diddle begins). The only time you should see RTTY
change power when transmitting is if the RTTY tone pair is right at
the edge of a filter passband so that one tone is more attenuate then
the other one.)

If you are also seeing the more-power-at-the-end behavior in RTTY, you
might want to check to make sure that your transmit tone pair (from
software) is centered in your transmitter's passband.

73
Chen, W7AY