Doug,

Do not use the power output as an indication for mic drive on data modes
(PSK31 for example).
The proper indicator is the "ALC" bargraph - adjust the audio input for
4 bars with an occasional flicker of the 5th bar.

At that level, it is not an indication of ALC action nor compression.
The ALC does not start until the 5th or 6th bar is illuminated - the
lower 4 bars are an indicator of the audio level (sort of like a Vu meter).

If you set the audio drive too low, the K3 will attempt to develop more
power to maintain the power output level you have chosen - that is the
reason things seem so 'touchy'.

73,
Don W3FPR