Hello Peter,

XV50 + K2 is a high performer and FT817 is in no way comparable to this
combination.  However, if you just look for convenience, FT817 is handy and
will give you the flexibility of multi-band and mult-mode.

I used FT817 in the old days but eventually gave it up and replace it with my
K2.  In a contest situation, FT817 will receive everything but you cannot
select what you really want to hear.  K2 is definitely a go for contest when
compared with FT817.

Of course, FT817 is much cheaper.

cheers,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
寄件人﹕ Peter Wollan <peter.wol...@gmail.com>
收件人 Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
傳送日期﹕ 2009 年 9月 10 日 星期四 上午 3:14:52
主題: [Elecraft] [K2] XV50 vs FT817?

An XV50 + KIO2, adding on to a QRP K2, is getting within shouting
distance of the cost of an FT817.  Could someone comment on the
relative merits, for use as a first multimode VHF rig?  My guess is
that the XV50 is better, but does less.  In addition to just exploring
on CW and SSB, I'd want to participate in some VHF CW contests.

    Peter N8MHD

      Yahoo!香港提供網上安全攻略,教你如何防範黑客! 請前往 http://hk.promo.yahoo.com/security/ 了解更多!