You probably made the best choice for you. If the chip is cheap - which it is
just cut the pins and remove individually.

It is fairly easy to remove such a chip using hot air or thick tinned copper
wire. You need to be careful with hot air but if you mask off the rest of
the board with a piece of aluminium with a hole in it to view just the pins
and heat from the bottom you can heat all pins at one and the chip will drop
off. I have used this technique many times but usually I am interested in
salvaging the component and not the PCB. If you get it too hot you can burn
the PCB. I have an SMD hot air cun that makes this operation very easy. I
assume you don't have one - so perhaps best to not try.

The other way is with copper wire. Solder a thick piece of copper wire to
all the pins at the base. Small piece of copper shim wold do as well. Then
heat this with a hot iron so all the solder for all the pins melts. The chip
will drop out.

I wish elecrat would start to go on the SMD route. Removing SMD components
is much easier. When you learn how the larger sized SMDs so are much easier
to work with than leaded parts.

Mike