I remember having this problem with an old Advantest Drift-o-matic spectrum
analyser at Uni. The buttons stopped working because the plastic let out
some oils and this coated the gold and stopped the contacts working. I am
not saying this is what has happened to Elecraft, I am sure that problem
from 20 years ago if fixed now. My fairly recent Anritsu spectrum analyser
has diffficult buttons too - as apparently does this laptop so it is a
common problem.

My K3 has sometimes had problems with switches too, but only rarely. My K2
is much worse in this respect.

Have we found any user applications for the connector on the bottom of the
panel yet?