>Egads.  All the riga-marole!  Turn on the sub and put it on his
>transmit freq.  Tune the A which will be your transmit to where the
>other guys are hollering at him.  I use a headset and track the calling
>mob with the A ear and listen to when he's transmitting with the B ear.
>Why worry about "split" and the other junk.

Three reasons:

1. In Europe, almost every DXpedition station is being deliberately
jammed, so the DX is much harder to hear than the pileup. In order to
copy the DX station well, we need the main RX with all of its
front-panel controls. The sub-RX is plenty good enough for prowling the
pileup.

2. When the DX station does come back, the RX on the pileup is no longer
needed. Like Iain N6ML, I often tap SUB to get the DX in both ears with
the extra 3dB SNR. You can't do that when operating split the other way
around.

3. Logging/control software assumes that we'll be operating split in the
way the transceiver manufacturer intended. Anyone trying to fight that
could easily wind up calling on the DX frequency.

By the way, we're still patiently waiting for the "quick split" option
on the K3. To join a pileup with the K3 requires at least 4-5 carefully
timed and sequenced operations. Competing rigs can get there with one
touch.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek