From: "Ron D'Eau Claire" <r...@cobi.biz>
To: "'Gary D Krause'" <n7...@bresnan.net>; "'Elecraft Reflector'"
<elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K2 and KPA100

Lee K0WA wrote:

I would suggest also, that you build a small 10 db audio amplifier to help
drive the K2 a little harder with your mic.  You can use a 2N2222 amplifier
and run it off 9 volt battery.  Works quite well for me and helps give a
little more to the SSB signal.  Remember, don't over drive, but the amp
will
help.

That is my story and I am sticking with it.

That was true for me using a dynamic mic with the K2 in either QRP or QRO
configuration, but switching to a electret element fixed that.

Once you have enough audio to make the ALC respond, you have all the audio
your rig can use. More just risks distortion as Lee points out.

If you're using SSB with your basic K2 now and are happy with the results,
you won't need any more audio when running the KPA100. It just amplifies
the
RF. It has nothing to do with the audio.

Ron AC7AC