Don,

It's good to see you're still carrying out your much appreciated good work
here.  I'd been away from this forum for a a couple years.

I changed  R4 back to 100K.  Dressing the ribbon and speaker cables doesn't
help.  Right now the KPA100 is outside the K2, on it's back, and cables are
stretched tight and clear of the KSB2 board.

I haven't done the KI6WX mod.

For sure it's only 80 meters that has the problem.  On other bands, it's
almost indistinguishable whether the KPA100 is on or off, and audio is
excellent.  But on 80, both the cracking and general distortion start when I
cross 10 to 11 Watts.  CW is fine, although there is about a second of
warble in the tone the first time I key after changing the band to 80).  USB
behaves the same as LSB.

For a next diagnostic step, I'm thinking I could borrow my buddy's K2, try
his KPA100 in my K2, and mine in his, and likewise for the KSB2 boards.
Seem reasonable?

Dick, K0KK