I've yet to encounter anyone who started with the equipment I
had.  The transmitter was a Sonar SRT120P built from a kit (its final
was an AX9903).  The VFO was just an LC setup connected to the
crystal socket.  It drifted and chirped beyond belief and was
replaced by Knight VFO.  The receiver was built from a Coast Guard
Kit.  It had 8 tubes as I recall, a crystal filter, and an AC/DC
tranformerless power supply.  The kit came with a photo and a
schematic.  There were no step by step instructions.  The receiver
had no bandspread.  I eventually added an RME HF 10-20 converter.  I
also added a Q-Multiplier.  I operated out of my bedroom in an
apartment on the forth floor of a walk up apartment in the Bronx.  My
antenna was a Windom on the roof.  That said, I got a lot of fun out
of that rig, but gave it away when I left for college in 1956.

Dick

KA1SA