Hi Tom,

--- Good headphones designed for communications shouldn't even go that
high. ---

May be you are (should be) correct. But my Heil Pro does as I do hear these
high tones coming through.

Just an example; when using SSB (MON =2) 30% of the time I clearly hear a
"tune" of high frequency (must be somewhere around 16 Kc if I compare it
with the line transformers in old TV sets) when in TX mode. It looks like a
lottery when pushing the PTT, it's there or not.

In an earlier message (must be months ago) I stated that I do hear high
frequency components on each signal (SSB and CW) which is above S3 and they
are related to the signals received.
The high component which I'm talking about can't be influenced (volume and
tone) by the RX-EQ so it looks like an uncontrolled side-effect.

So my conclusion;
It's either coming from the K3 and totally independent from the headphones
used, or it's the combination K3 - Heil Pro set, or it's an oscillation
between my ears initiated by lids on the band (don't take the last one to
serious).

(un)fortunately most hams can't hear above 10 Kc if we look at the average
age and the given statistics. So they won't notice these artifacts.

Yes I do have an old headphone (no mic included) from Telex which doesn't
produce or show this effect. Either the combi K3 - Telex doesn't generate
the high frequency components or the Telex isn't able to make it audible.

With this knowledge, and your question about the Heil I can do two things:
Say nothing or warn you just in case you are able to hear above 10 Kc.

BTW
Let me be clear, I do have 2 K3's, (SN0812 & SN2185, both have the same
issue) but I'm still very happy with them! Receiver performance and audio
are the most important points for me, not the bells and the whistles. I hope
this audio issue will be solved once and the K3 will be perfect (for me).
Some issues will be solved, some never. Nothing is perfect, but the K3 comes
close.

Do whatever you like with this information, it is just my experience and
opinion

73's, Evert PA2KW