Does this app note apply here?

Application Note: Alternative Wiring for the K2's AF GAIN Control
Wayne Burdick, N6KR, with illustrations by Tom Hammond, N0SS
Oct. 25, 2001
This optional modification greatly reduces the level of noise or other
artifacts that might be heard on a small number of K2s when rotating the AF
GAIN potentiometer. Pots judged as "noisy" are, in fact, probably good; the
original circuit is simply sensitive to the pots' inherent non-linearities. In
addition to eliminating most pot noise, the new circuit provides nearly dead
silence when the control is fully CCW, while the old circuit allowed a small
amount of leak-through.

You can find the whole note in K2/K1 applications.